November Open Evenings (for 2020 entry)
WEDNESDAY 13 & THURSDAY 14 NOVEMBER 2019, 18.30 to 21.00
The Open Evening represents the start of the admissions advice and guidance for entry in September 2020. We hope that you will be able to attend one of the evenings and that you find it informative and helpful in supporting your decision-making.
For information about additional parking on these two nights please see the bottom of this webpage.
Aims of the Evening
To provide visitors with the opportunity to:
- Find out about specific subjects and discuss questions with teachers
- Look at the facilities in both subject areas and across the College as a whole (the Library, for example)
- Raise any general questions about the college and/or the admissions process. Staff are available in the refectory.
The Principal will host a series of presentations throughout the evening covering some of the ‘whole college’ issues and advice on planning a programme of study at Collyer’s. The talks will provide a useful overview for parents, and the start times are as follows:
- Location: Duckering Hall
- Presentation times: 18:30, 19:00, 19:30, 20:00 and 20:30
Before you attend
The questions and advice below are aimed at encouraging students to think about the most important questions when deciding about both where and what to study. You should find it helpful to review the material before the open evenings.
- What are your favourite subjects at school?
- Why do you enjoy these subjects? (content, skills, style of subject, teaching)?
- What are you interested in and what do you like doing? (both in and out of school)?
- Careers ideas (based on work experience, careers advice and your own ideas)?
- What are you currently planning to do once you have left school and what alternatives are there? Use all the answers above to guide you as you look through the subjects and level of study that are available at Collyer’s. The ‘SUBJECT DETAILS’ section of the prospectus has all the subjects we offer and the section ‘CHOOSING YOUR PROGRAMME OF STUDY’ tells you how you can mix subjects to get the right programme of study for you.
- Which subjects at Collyer’s look like they match your needs and interests?
- List the subjects that look interesting but you are not certain what they involve (research at Open Evening)
- What are the entry requirements for the subjects that you are interested in?
- What subjects or courses are you interested in that are not offered at Collyer’s?
- Do not try to sort out the best choices without any advice. Use the sources of advice listed below, you can then compare all the ideas and the decision starts to become clearer.
- Talk to your teachers and tutor about what they think you would be good at and what subjects might build on your strengths.
- Ask your parents about what they see as your key academic and personal strengths.
- Use the careers information at your school or talk to careers staff to get up to date information on careers and the range of study options.
- You can either approach this by asking about careers you think are interesting and what you need to achieve to get into those careers OR
- You can look at what you like studying/doing and ask what careers might build on your strengths and interests.
Please be aware that parking is limited at the College. As such you may need to find alternative parking in the local area. The nearest pay and display option is The Pavilions In The Park on Hurst Road.