Student Finance

Parents or students seeking financial assistance should contact the Vice Principal (Student Support) in writing before enrolment, or at any time post-enrolment when financial hardship is encountered.  We are always pleased to give advice on financial assistance.

Bursary/Discretionary Financial Support

The college is awarded finance from the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) to administer a Bursary to support learners facing genuine financial barriers.  To be eligible for financial support students must be under 19 on 31 August 2020* and qualify under either of the categories below:

The Vulnerable Bursary will be awarded to Collyer’s students in the following categories:

  • In care
  • Care leavers
  • Receiving Income Support or Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves.
  • Receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP) in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit in their own right.
  • The Discretionary Bursary for the academic year 2020/2021 is available for students whose annual household income does not exceed £23,000. You can apply for a reduced bursary if the total household income is between £23,000 and £26,000.

Please see the Travel & Financial Support Guide for more information.  If you would like to apply for the bursary please download the application form (opens as a pdf) or application form (opens in Word) to fill in and then return to

Student Service Office (Bursary)
The College of Richard Collyer
Hurst Road
West Sussex
RH12 2EJ

*This will be updated shortly for 2021/22 entrants

Discounted Travel and Financial Assistance for Travel

Please refer to the Travel Assistance & Financial Support Guide for information regarding student travel discounts and the Travel Award for students living in the BN postcode / Haywards Heath area. If you would like to apply for the Travel Award please download the application form (PDF) and return to Student Services .

College Fund

The College Fund is a single payment requested on entry to the college which covers the provision of those social and recreational ‘extras’ not otherwise provided for by public funding.  It funds, for example, the provision of recreational facilities in Sport, Leisure and Fitness, and in Music, Drama and Dance; minibus transport for local visits and matches; and student social facilities. In addition it supports College theatrical productions, and also enables the College to invite in various guest speakers. It encourages students to participate fully in the enrichment and social activities the college provides, and enables the college to provide them free to students instead of having to make charges for their use.

The sum requested from each student on entry is a single payment of £140, which covers the entire period of time a student remains at the college.  Payment is made at enrolment by cash or cheque (payable to ‘Collyer’s).  Alternatively, you may wish to pay by BACS direct into our bank account.

In the event of insufficient contributions being made the college would have to consider withdrawing the above facilities or charging for them, which would penalise students and remove opportunities.  A refund of the contribution for the year can be claimed if a student leaves before 1st November of that year; no refunds will be made after that date.

How to Apply

Open Evenings