English Language GCSE Level
About the subject
By studying this course you will:
- Stand an excellent chance of achieving a Grade 4 (or above) in GCSE English Language (AQA)
- Join a supportive study team ready to help you succeed
- Receive regular feedback on written work and timed assessments
- Improve your spoken language skills
- Develop your ability to analyse literary and non-literary texts
- Improve the clarity, depth and accuracy of your writing
- Be able to access a wider range of Level 3 courses and improve your grade average
- Develop your language skills in preparation for further education, employment and for life.
Students will be well-prepared for all elements of this course and be led by experienced teachers and AQA examiners. The first term focuses on Paper 1: Explorations in Creative Reading and Writing, with an opportunity to re-take the exam in November. After Christmas we turn our attention to Paper 2: Writers’ Viewpoints and Perspectives and practice comparing non-fiction extracts from the last 200 years. Students are also required to prepare and then present a spoken argument to a small audience.
Subject Combinations and Progression
Most students who are taking GCSE English will be on an Intermediate level course such as a BTEC First Diploma, though all students who have not yet achieved a Grade 4 in English Language will need to enrol with us. A pass at GCSE English is usually an entry requirement for UK Higher Education courses and many careers and apprenticeships
Paper 1: Explorations in Creative Reading and Writing (50%)
Paper 2: Writers’ Viewpoints and Perspectives (50%)
All Collyer’s students must enrol on this course if they have not achieved a 4 grade in GCSE English Language.